The Department of Psychology was established in 1922, although courses in psychology were offered as early as 1875. The Department offered a master's degree beginning in 1930 and has offered the Ph.D. since 1965.
Today the Department's 30 faculty members provide instruction to approximately 80 graduate students and 600 undergraduate majors. The Department offers bachelor's degrees in psychology and psychology-pre-physical therapy. Requirements provide students with exposure to several areas of psychology, while providing the opportunity for students to select courses that fit their needs and interests. A minor in psychology is also available. An honor's program is available to outstanding students. The Department also offers the Ph.D. in both clinical and experimental psychology.
Psychology provides an excellent way to enhance career opportunities in a variety of fields. Also, an undergraduate degree in psychology provides an excellent academic background for professional and graduate training.
The Department of Psychology is housed in Porter Hall, which underwent large-scale renovation from 1992 to 1993. It affords space for teaching and research, as well as offices for all faculty and graduate students. Research facilities are greatly enhanced with the completion Fall 2008 of the Porter Hall Addition, an adjoining 28,000 sq. ft. structure.
Computer facilities both within the department and throughout the university are extensive and readily available to students and faculty at no cost. The department alone has two computer labs. The larger, containing 30 computers, is used for classroom instruction and research. Computers can also be found in a variety of other locations throughout the department, including research labs and offices. The department's computers are connected to an ethernet local area network that provides users access to the university's wide area network, as well as the internet. The entire university offers wireless connections to the internet.