The broad purpose of research in Health Psychology is to understand reciprocal relationships between psychology and physical health. The specific focus of the Ohio University Health Psychology Group is on chronic illness including:
- investigation of psychological and biological factors that predispose to, precipitate, or maintain illness and disability, and
- development and evaluation of psychological interventions that enhance the functioning of individuals with chronic disorders.
Clinics and Laboratories
Click here to see the summary.
- Kenneth Holroyd, Ph.D. (University of Miami - Florida, 1975),
Emeritus Professor - Research interests include pain and headache management, assessment of the effectiveness of drug and psychological treatments for pain, innovative methods of delivery of psychological services.
Go to Clinic/Laboratory.
- Stephen Patterson, Ph.D. (Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 1993),
Associate Professor - Research interests include cardiovascular psychophysiology, psychological stress and hematology, rural health, racial and gender differences, behavioral epidemiology. Go to Laboratory 1 and Laboratory 2 and Laboratory 3.
- Biing-Jiun Shen, Ph.D. (University of California, Los Angeles),
Assistant Professor - Research interests include depression, anxiety, and related psychosocial factors in patients with heart failure and those with coronary artery disease, psychosocial factors and their contributions to glucose management, stress, personality, obesity, and inflammation, psychosocial factors and risk for heart disease among postmenopausal women.
- Julie Suhr, Ph.D. (University of Iowa, 1994),
Professor - Research interests include neuropsychology of pain and other medical conditions, assessment and management of Alzheimer's disease, detection of malingering, effects of psychological state on neuropsychological performance.
Go to Laboratory.
- Timothy Anderson, Ph.D. (Miami University, 1993),
Associate Professor - Research interests include psychotherapy process and outcome research in the context of physical and mental illness, psychological assessment.
- Bruce Carlson, Ph.D. (University of Michigan, 1984),
Associate Professor - Research interests include the evaluation of diagnostic tests, generalized regression models.
- Claudia Gonzalez-Vallejo, Ph.D. (University of North Carolina, 1992),
Associate Professor - Research interests include applications of judgment and decision-making research to medical decision making and public policy.
- Janis France, Ph.D. (McGill University, 1995),
Assistant Research Professor
- Bob Conatser, M.S. (Ohio University, 1987),
- Lina K. Himawan, M.A. (University of Maryland, 2004),
- Lauren Mente, RN, BSN,