Frequently Asked Questions
When is the deadline date for application?
All formal application materials must be received by December 1 to be considered.
We will notify you when we have received all of the necessary materials.
How do I get an application?
Please see the Office of Graduate Studies web site and apply on-line.
Where do I send my application materials?
After applying on-line, you need to send application materials to two locations, the Office of Graduate Studies and directly to the Department of Psychology. A list of required documents for the Office of Graduate Studies for both locations is listed on under the section "Application Process" on the Department of Psychology website.
What do I need to send?
Send the following materials to Office of Graduate Studies as one package:
- Two (2) original copies of transcripts from your undergraduate institution showing receipt of bachelor's degree, AND transcripts from any other postsecondary school attended.
- Official GRE scores.
Send the following materials directly to the Department of Psychology as one package:
- One copy of GRE scores (unofficial copy is acceptable).
- Three (3) letters of recommendation written on recommenders' original letterhead stationery, accompanied by completed Ohio University Recommendation Forms; preferably from psychology faculty members.
- A copy of transcripts from all post-secondary schools you attended (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- A personal statement describing your special interests and professional goals. Include in your personal statement a rank-ordered list of the three faculty members with whom you most want to work.
What GRE tasks are required?
Verbal and Quantitative. The Psychology Subject score is recommended, but not required.
Who do I contact to take the GRE?
Please go to www.gre.org or call 1-800-537-3160.
How do I get a copy of the faculty profiles?
See our faculty group page, then click on the faculty member of choice.
What is the average number of applicants?
We receive approximately 250 applications per year.
What is the average number of students accepted?
Generally we accept 9 clinical students and 8 experimental students.
When will I know if I am accepted?
You will be told if you are accepted or on a wait-list by early March. Those not accepted will be notified at a later date by Graduate Studies.
How do I get financial aid information?
Please see our Financial Aid page for more information.
How much are graduate stipends?
Stipends for the nine-month academic year and a five-week summer session are $13,200 plus a scholarship to pay your tuition. Selected fellowships are available for up to $17,600.
Who do I contact for more information?
Dr. Keith Markman
Assistant Chair for Graduate Affairs
Department of Psychology
203 Porter Hall
Athens, OH 45701
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org